There are several possibilities to apply for Spanish nationality, depending on your situation.
Following we will explain to you the options you can choose from:
I.- The citizenship by legal residence.
Obtaining nationality by residence requires legal residence in Spain.
The general requirement is a legal and continuous residence in Spain for at least 10 years prior to the application.
There are several cases when the residence term can be reduced to a period of 5, 2 or 1 years of residency.
II.- Citizenship by option:
- Those who are or have been subject to the custody of a Spanish citizen.
- Those whose father or mother was originally Spanish and born in Spain.
- Persons for whom the determination of filiation or birth in Spain occurred after the 18th.
- Those persons whose adoption by Spanish citizens occurs after the 18th. In this case, the right exists until 20 years old.
III.- The other option is to apply for Spanish citizenship by the law of democratic memory. By this law, the following individuals can apply for Spanish citizenship:
- Those who were born outside of Spain to a father or mother, grandfather or grandmother, who were originally Spanish.
- Those who were born outside of Spain to a father or mother, grandfather or grandmother, who were originally Spanish and, as a result of experiencing exile due to political, ideological, or belief-related reasons, or due to sexual orientation and identity, have lost or renounced their Spanish nationality, may opt for Spanish nationality.
- Children born abroad to Spanish women who lost their nationality by marrying foreigners before the entry into force of the 1978 Constitution.
- Adult children of Spanish nationals who have been recognized as their original nationality through the right of option.
As always this isn’t legal advice. At Just Law Solicitors we can, of course, help with a Spanish work visa and any other visa such as the non-lucrative visa, the golden visa, and registering as self-employed known as ‘autonomo’ here in Spain. We can also assist with the new digital nomad visa here in Spain, so you can work from home in Spain.
If you plan on buying a property here in Spain, we can help you with the whole process but it’s important not to sign or pay anything until you’ve had advice from us. We can assist with the non-lucrative visa ‘NLV’ and opening a Spanish bank account.
If you are thinking about moving to Spain, contact us so we can give you the proper advice according to your circumstances. We are Spanish qualified and registered lawyers at the Bar Association.
We are also proud to have a tax department with a Spanish qualified tax advisor and accountant formerly of Price Waterhouse and KPMG.
We also have a family law department. Sometimes it’s more beneficial for one party to get divorced here in Spain as opposed to for example the United Kingdom. We can also advise on custody and child maintenance here in Spain.
A Spanish will is recommended to properly deal with international jurisdiction and taxes.
Just Law Solicitors celebrating our 30th year in 2023. Since 1992
Malaga – Fuengirola – Marbella and all of Spain online.
Visit our website www.justlawsolicitors.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us by WhatsApp +34 663 37 35 35