As you maybe well know in addition to being the senior lawyer with Just Law Solicitors here in Spain, I am also the Consul of Denmark. Recently I had the opportunity to speak with the mayor of Malaga Francisco de la Torre who fully supports the Spanish Digital Nomad Visa or DNV.
A digital nomad visa can be beneficial for Spain and indeed any other country in several ways, although the impact can vary depending on the specific policies and conditions associated with the visa program. Here are some reasons why a digital nomad visa can be good for a country:
- Economic Boost: Digital nomads often have a steady source of income, typically earned online or from remote work, which they spend within the country. This can stimulate local economies by supporting businesses such as restaurants, accommodation providers, transportation services, and more.
- Tourism Promotion: Digital nomads may stay in a country for extended periods, exploring its culture and attractions. This can help promote tourism and generate revenue for local businesses and the government through activities like sightseeing, dining out, and shopping.
- Diversification of the Workforce: Hosting digital nomads can bring a diverse set of skills and experiences to the local workforce. They may collaborate with local entrepreneurs, contribute to knowledge sharing, and even create job opportunities for locals by starting businesses or hiring local talent.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Some digital nomads are entrepreneurs, and they may choose to start businesses or invest in local startups. This can foster innovation and create a more entrepreneurial ecosystem in the host country.
- Infrastructure Investment: To attract digital nomads, countries may need to improve their digital infrastructure, including internet connectivity and co-working spaces. These investments can benefit both residents and businesses.
- Cultural Exchange: Digital nomads often engage with local communities, learn about local customs, and share their own experiences. This cultural exchange can foster understanding and build connections between different cultures.
- Tax Revenue: Digital nomads who stay in a country for an extended period may contribute to local tax revenues through consumption taxes, property taxes (if they buy property), or other forms of taxation.
- Branding and Image: Hosting digital nomads can enhance a country’s image as an attractive destination for remote workers and tech-savvy individuals. This positive image can extend to other sectors, such as tourism and foreign investment.
- Flexible Workforce Policies: Creating a digital nomad visa program may require countries to develop more flexible immigration and visa policies, which can also benefit other industries and workers, making it easier for skilled professionals to relocate.
Whilst there is no legal requirement to take legal advice from a Spanish Solicitor it’s recommended. At Just Law Solicitors we have an English speaking specialist visa lawyer. They can also help with the non lucrative visa NLV, the investment visa sometimes called the golden visa, the employed and self employed visa autonomo. At Just Law Solicitors we can help with everything related to living in Spain and moving to Spain and buying a property in Spain. You only deal direct with an English speaking Spanish lawyer. we are your lawyer in Spain.
You can join our facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/489616048541474/?ref=share_group_link we now have in excess of 22,000 members
Marisa Moreno Castillo Senior Lawyer and Consul for Denmark
Malaga Fuengirola Marbella
Just Law Solicitors